giacomog

Giacomo's blog

Contrary to the characters in my books, I don’t really kill people, or catch those who do, so the blog posts might be about reading, or writing, or animals. These are the things I have great passion for.

Murder Corporation

Murder Corporation - Victor Methos I had very mixed feelings about this book. It started off with a bang, and the action never stopped. That's good, you say, but maybe not. It didn't even slow down long enough to give proper character development, at least for me. The book was short. I think it lists it at 202 pages, but it felt even shorter than that. I guess that's a testament to the fast pace, which is again, a good thing. But I almost got the feeling that the author was aiming for a longer book and decided to cut it short. The ending felt rushed.

I felt as if the author didn't allow enough time to fully develop the storyline or the characters. I got a “feel” for the characters, but none of them felt complete. I never got to really know them. The same with the storyline. It started off good, but then it just seemed to move from one action scene to another, and they were all the same. The author never developed a real plot, just a grouping of scenes.

With that said, there was a lot to like about this book. It had some of the best dialogue I’ve seen in a book in a long time. The dialogue was excellent! I don’t know if the author went down and lived with these guys or not, but it seemed that way. He was spot on. I’m not familiar with the parts of the city where this book took place, but he did a great job convincing me that it was real, down to the worn-out floors and the drug-dealer “mansions” within the slum apartment buildings. The action was also good. It was choreographed well and came across as real. I had no trouble picturing it.

I know this all sounds fantastic, right? It is. But here comes the part that made me rate it lower. This book, despite all the good things it had going for it, reminded me of the movie, "Training Day" in every scene. On every page. In all the dialogue. There were times when I even thought, I wonder if this was an adaptation? I guess to sum it up is, I was frustrated because I wanted soooooo bad to love this book and find a great story here, but what I got was Training Day rehashed. If what I said doesn't bother you, please pick this book up because the author can write!

I'm going to pick up another Victor Methos book. I like his style. I love his dialogue. And he sets the scenes well.