giacomog

Giacomo's blog

Contrary to the characters in my books, I don’t really kill people, or catch those who do, so the blog posts might be about reading, or writing, or animals. These are the things I have great passion for.
Hollywood Pharaohs - Andrew Mayne This is the first book of Andrew Mayne's that I've read, but it won't be the last. I didn't know what to expect coming in, but once I got used to Mayne's style I settled in and liked it.

Hollywood Pharaohs wasn't a "must read" for me. It wasn't one of those books where I had to read it every night. And it wasn't one that I finished in two days. Pharaohs fit more into a "fun read" for me, and I don't get enough of those anymore. It's obvious Mayne knows his Hollywood, and it was enjoyable to hear some of the stories he told; it made me feel as if I was in the hands of someone who knew what they were talking about.

Some authors get carried away with humor, but Mayne knows how far to take it, and he never went over the top. I felt his characters were well drawn and his plot enjoyable. He has a great voice, and he definitely knows how to tell a story. The real Hollywood could learn a thing or two from Andrew Mayne.

Overall, I really liked this, and I'm certain I'll pick up another book of Mayne's to give that a shot, too.