giacomog

Giacomo's blog

Contrary to the characters in my books, I don’t really kill people, or catch those who do, so the blog posts might be about reading, or writing, or animals. These are the things I have great passion for.

Two Shots

Two Shots - Joe Albert Joe Albert has a style that reminds me a little of John Sandford, and that’s a good thing. I love John Sandford.

But I have to say that I had a little trouble getting into Two Shots. I found a few mistakes here and there—mostly missing words or typos—but nothing so distracting as to make me put the book down. My bigger problem was getting into the main character. The character was written well but he just didn’t click with me.

Several times I felt as if the author went off on a tangent, especially about hunting or fishing, when I saw no compelling reason to go there. I have no doubt that Joe knows a great deal about hunting and fishing, and the back woods of Minnesota, but that’s not something I need to learn about in a mystery.

To summarize, I found Two Shots a good read. Joe knows how to tell a story, and he writes well. His prose is good and his descriptions are good. He knows how to build suspense. If you’re a hunter or fisherman and enjoy the outdoors, you’ll probably like this a lot. Albert puts you right on the scene with his descriptions.

Overall I think Joe’s a good writer and I believe his next book is going to be even stronger than this one. I intend to pick it up and give it a shot myself.

I rated this book 3.8 stars, which I rounded up to 4.

Specific ratings: